17.72 in. (45.00 cm.) (height) by 11.50 in. (29.20 cm.) (width) by 4.72 in. (12.00 cm.) (depth)
with entwined tails, on an integrally carved rectangular base
with applied silver plaque engraved 'THESE LYONS/ were brought from ST. DENNIS in 1802/ by Sir T. N. having been placed at the feet of the recumbent statue of CHARLES the V of/ FRANCE on the TOMB which is now in PARIS in the MUSÉE DES MONUMENS.'
traces of gilding, the reverse simply finished
D. Lysons, The environs of London: being an historical account of the towns, villages and hamlets, within twelve miles of the capital: interspersed with biographical anecdotes, 1811, II, p. 353-354. Inventaire Général des Richesses d’Art de la France, Archives du musée des Monuments Français, Première Partie – Papiers de M. Alexandre Lenoir, Membre de l’Institut et Documents tires des Archives de l’administration des Beaux-Arts, 1883. P. Pradel, ‘Les Tombeaux de Charles V’, in Bulletin Monumental, CIX (1951), pp. 273–296. S. K. Scher, The Sculpture of André Beauneveu, PhD dissertation, Yale, 1966. Paris, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Les Fastes du Gothiques – le siècle de Charles V, 9 October 1981 – 1 February 1982, F. Baron ed., nos. 64, 75. H. Wayment, King’s college Chapel Cambridge: The Side-Chapel Glass, 1988, p. 24. Groeningen, Groeningemuseum, ‘No Equal in Any Land’ André Beauneveu – Artist to the Courts of France and Flanders, 14 September 2007 – 6 January 2008, S. Nash.London, Sam Fogg, Gilded Light – 16th century stained glass roundel from the collection of Sir Thomas Neave and other private colections, 1 – 8 July 2016, M. Reeves, C. Berserik and J. Caen. Paris, Musée du Louvre, Un Musée Révolutionnaire – Le musée des Monuments français d’Alexandre Lenoir, 7 April – 4 July 2016, G. Bresc-Bautier and B. Chansel-Bardelot eds.
Commissioned by Charles V of France for his tomb at the Basilica of St. Denis, Paris, circa 1364–66 where they remained until the French Revolution. Probably removed, along with the effigy of the king, by Alexandre Lenoir when the tomb was destroyed by the revolutionary government in 1793. Acquired by Sir Thomas Neave (1761–1848) in 1802, and thence by descent.